You are here
ES2003 - Fifteenth Annual Workshop on Recent Developments in Electronic Structure Methods
May 17-19, 2003
Minnesota Supercomputing Institute, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
The 15th Annual Workshop on Recent Developments in Electronic Structure Methods will be held on the East Bank campus of the University of Minnesota. This workshop brings together active participants in electronic structure theory from universities, colleges, government labs, and industrial labs from around the world. The invited presentations and contributed posters will describe new methods for computing previously inaccessible properties, breakthroughs in computational efficiency and accuracy, and novel applications of these approaches to the study of molecules, liquids, and solids.
In 2003, this annual workshop returns to the Upper Midwest. Previous workshops have been held at St. Mary's City, Urbana, Columbus, Ithaca, Raleigh, Philadelphia, State College (Pennsylvania), Berkeley, and Santa Barbara.
- Representative topics by invited speakers include: quantum Monte Carlo methods, quantum and accelerated dynamics, quasiparticle excitations in semiconductors and insulators, electronic properties of nanotubes and nanowires, quantum confinement in complex systems, and time dependent density functional theory, as well as many other topics. A complete list of speakers and topics can be found on the tentative workshop schedule.
- Call for poster papers:
- There will be two poster sessions at the Electronic Structure Workshop during the afternoons of Saturday, May 17, 2003 and Sunday, May 18, 2003.
Those registrants who would like to present a poster paper are requested to submit the title of the paper and the abstract to:
- Length of abstracts is limited to two pages. Abstracts can and should be submitted in PostScript, PDF, or Word format.
The deadline for registering to present a poster paper is May 9, 2003.
- The workshop site:
- The 2003 workshop will be held at the Supercomputing Institute, Walter Library, 117 Pleasant St. SE, at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis. Signs will be posted in the lobby of Walter Library directing you to the workshop.
Lodging will be available at the Holiday Inn Metrodome and the Days Inn University.
- Registration information:
- The workshop fee is $225 for participants registering prior to the May 7 workshop registration deadline. Late registrations will be accepted on a space available basis. After May 15, 2003, the registration fee is $250. This fee includes breakfasts, lunches, and breaks during the workshop, an evening reception to be held at the Holiday Inn Metrodome on May 16, and a banquet dinner on Saturday, May 17. Registration check-in will be from 7:00-8:30 a.m., Saturday, May 17.
- You can register for the workshop by mailing or faxing the registration form (pdf / rtf), or you can register online.
- Mail to: Conf 0008, University of Minnesota, 20 Coffey Hall, 1420 Eckles Avenue, St. Paul, Mn 55108
- Fax to: 612-624-5359
- Register online at http://register.cce.umn.edu/Course.pl?sect_key=175583
- If you would like to pay by wire transfer, please contact Jane Zirbes, at (612) 625-0012 or email@example.com.
- If you need to cancel your registration, a refund, minus a $25 fee, will be issued if you cancel your registration in writing by May 7, 2003. If you cancel after that date, you will be ineligible for a refund. A full refund will be issued if the workshop is cancelled.
- Travel and accommodations:
- Participants traveling by air will arrive at Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport. It is a short (15-20 minute) cab ride to the Minneapolis Campus of the University of Minnesota. Workshop participants will be able to choose from two hotels: the Holiday Inn Metrodome and the Days Inn University. The Holiday Inn Metrodome provides an airport shuttle once per hour. The cost of this service is $10. The Days Inn University does not offer an airport shuttle. The Holiday Inn Metrodome is located near the West Bank of the University of Minnesota Minneapolis campus (shuttle service is available). The occupancy rate for the workshop is $92 per night, plus applicable taxes. Reservations may be made by contacting the Holiday Inn's toll free number, 1-800-448-3663, or by dialing directly to the Minneapolis hotel at (612) 333-4646. When making reservations please indicate that you are attending the Electronic Structures Workshop. Reservations must be made by April 29, 2003 for this workshop. Subsequent to this date, reservations will be accepted on a space and rate availability basis. The Web site for the Holiday Inn Metrodome is http://www.sixcontinentshotels.com/h/d/HI/hd/mspmd.
- In addition to the Holiday Inn, workshop attendees may stay at the Days Inn University which is located about three blocks from the East Bank of the University of Minnesota campus (shuttle service is available). The Days Inn is offering a room rate of $59/night per room. The Days Inn's phone number is (612) 623-9303 and their fax number is (612) 623-4741. Reservations must be made by April 16, 2003 for this workshop. Subsequent to this date, reservations will be accepted on a space and rate availability basis. The Web site for the Days Inn University is http://www.the.daysinn.com/minneapolis08225.
Please note that hotel availability in Minneapolis is limited this weekend due to graduation ceremonies at the University. We suggest reserving your room by the deadlines cited above.
Below is a link to maps of the University of Minnesota campus. Please note that Walter library is located on the East Bank and the Holiday Inn is located on the West Bank.
- Travel support:
- The workshop committee hopes to provide significant financial support for the attendance of graduate students and post-docs. Some limited support may be made available to more senior attendees on a case-by-case basis. For more information about travel support, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Further information:
- Local committee:
- James R. Chelikowsky
Institute of Technology Distinguished Professor
Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science
University of Minnesota
421 Washington Avenue S.E.
Minneapolis, MN 55455
office: (612) 625-4837
Dept. phone: (612) 625-1313
Dept. fax: (612) 626-7246
- Jane Zirbes
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
599 Walter 117 Pleasant Street S.E.
Minneapolis, MN 55455
office: (612) 625-0012
More information will be available on this site as the date of the workshop approaches. Check back at a later time.