You are here
Volume 7, Number 1, March 2010
UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
Users Bulletin March 15, 2010 Vol. 7, No. 1
Published by the Minnesota Supercomputing Institute Editor: Tracey A. Bartlett
The Minnesota Supercomputing Institute (MSI) Users Bulletin provides information about news, policies, procedures, and events of interest to users of MSI resources. It is published quarterly.
Be sure to submit your research reports for research that includes use of MSI resources (hardware, software, or user support) in the work reported. Please send your reports email@example.com, or for more information, see:
Table of Contents for March 15, 2010 MSI Users Bulletin:
1. MSI allocation request procedure changes
3. MSI Research Exhibition
4. Virtual School for Computational Science and Engineering summer workshops
5. Useful links, Quickstart Guides, and email addresses
1. MSI allocation request procedure changes: MSI will be moving to an online, database-driven resource allocation proposal system for the allocation period beginning July 1. Proposals will henceforth be submitted through a web interface and processed electronically. We expect this change to lead to a substantial reduction in effort in the long term by both researchers and MSI staff. Reflecting the expected reduction in turnaround time for proposals, the submission deadline is being moved from April 15 to May 1.
2. myMSI: MSI is pleased to announce a new online application for its users, myMSI. myMSI is a way for users to manage their profile information, including a non-MSI email address, a preferred email address, phone number, secret question and answer for password resets, mailing list membership, and more. The interface also allows PIs to manage who is in their research group and what access each member should have. The myMSI portal will continue to evolve, eventually presenting the user with more information about their account and use of MSI resources. A myMSI link appears on the toolbar of the MSI homepage. The online form discussed in Item 1 will be accessed through myMSI.
At this time, we would like each MSI user to log into myMSI and set their secret question and answer. Having a secret question and answer set will allow each user to self-reset their password if they forget it or do not change it before it expires. Please note that you cannot set your secret question and answer if you log in through the "Change my password" link in the upper right of the MSI website homepage.
Log into myMSI by either clicking the myMSI link on the toolbar of the MSI homepage or by going to:
and then provide your MSI ID and password. Once there, click on the "My Profile" button. Then click the "Security" tab to set your secret question and answer.
3. MSI Research Exhibition: MSI is holding a Research Exhibition on April 30 to celebrate its 25th anniversary. The exhibition will include posters and displays of MSI research. It will be held in room 401 Walter Library, 1-3 pm, Friday, April 30. All are invited. The Research Exhibition website is at:
4. Virtual School for Computational Science and Engineering summer workshops: MSI will host two workshops to be held on-site at UMTC in Summer 2010 in association with the Virtual School of Computational Science and Engineering (VSCSE) of the Center for Computational Science (Miami, Florida). The VSCSE brings together faculty from throughout the country to create courses that focus on petascale computing and petascale-enabled science and engineering. MSI will be hosting the Scaling to Petascale (July 6-9) and the Big Data for Science (July 26-30) workshops.
More information about the workshops can be found at:
More information, including registration instructions, will be sent out and posted on the MSI website in the near future.
5. Useful links, Quickstart Guides, and email addresses:
Please be sure to change your password often.
www.msi.umn.edu/my -- MyMSI
www.msi.umn.edu/hardware/ -- Core Computing Machines
www.msi.umn.edu/labs/bscl/ -- Basic Sciences Computing Laboratory (BSCL)
www.msi.umn.edu/labs/bmsdl/ -- Biomedical Modeling, Simulation, and Design Laboratory (BMSDL)
www.msi.umn.edu/labs/cgl/ -- Computational Genetics Laboratory (CGL)
www.msi.umn.edu/labs/lmvl/ -- LCSE-MSI Visualization Laboratory (LMVL)
www.msi.umn.edu/labs/umbcl/ -- MSI-UMR BICB Computational Laboratory (UMBCL)
www.msi.umn.edu/labs/sdml/ -- Scientific Data Management Laboratory (SDML)
www.msi.umn.edu/labs/sdvl/ -- Scientific Development and Visualization Laboratory (SDVL)
www.compbio.umn.edu/ -- One-Stop Portal for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
www.msi.umn.edu/hardware/calhoun/quickstart.html -- Quickstart Guide for Calhoun (SGI Altix XE 1300 Linux Cluster)
www.msi.umn.edu/hardware/blade/quickstart.html -- Quickstart Guide for the IBM BladeCenter Linux Cluster
www.msi.umn.edu/hardware/altix/quickstart.html -- Quickstart Guide for the SGI Altix
www.msi.umn.edu/hardware/elmo/quickstart.html -- Quickstart Guide for Elmo (Sun Fire X4600 Linux Cluster)
Useful email addresses:
firstname.lastname@example.org -- for all requests for user assistance (technical help for all users)
email@example.com -- for all questions concerning account renewal, new principal investigators, and service units (administrative help for all users)
firstname.lastname@example.org -- for all questions and instructions concerning changes in users and accounts for existing users
email@example.com -- for submission of research reports containing work done using MSI resources
firstname.lastname@example.org -- to request access to information in an alternative format for individuals with disabilities