You are here
Volume 7, Number 3, September 2010
Supercomputing Institute Users Bulletin
September 15, 2010
Vol. 7, No. 3
Editor: Tracey A. Bartlett
The Minnesota Supercomputing Institute (MSI) Users Bulletin provides information about news, policies, procedures, and events of interest to users of MSI resources. It is published quarterly.
Be sure to submit your research reports for research that includes use of MSI resources (hardware, software, or user support) in the work reported. Please send your reports email@example.com, or for more information, see:
Table of Contents for September 15, 2010 MSI Users Bulletin:
1. MSI's new director, Jorge Vinals, takes charge
2. New SGI supercomputer, Koronis
3. Account renewal deadline, November 1
4. Fall tutorials
5. Useful links, Quickstart Guides, and email addresses
1. MSI's new director, Jorge Vinals, takes charge: Jorge Vinals, the new MSI Director, took over his position on August 1. More information about Jorge can be found on the MSI News webpage:
2. New SGI Supercomputer, Koronis: MSI has received a grant from NIH for the purchase of a new SGI UV 1000 supercomputer, which will be named "Koronis." This system has a shared-memory architecture in which each core can access all 3.1 terabytes of memory directly. Major users of the machine will be in the fields of multi-scale modeling, chemical dynamics, bioinformatics and computational biology, and biomedical imaging. Koronis will also be available to other MSI researchers who have NIH funding. The new system will be available later this fall. Users should check our website for updates.
3. Account renewal deadline, November 1: All users are reminded that the deadline for requesting resources for the Jan-Jun 2011 allocation period is November 1. Please use the online renewal system, which you can access by clicking on the “myMSI” link on our home page. If you have problems with the system, please contact the Help Desk firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-626-0802.
4. Fall tutorials: The Fall tutorial schedule has been posted:
You can view the list of tutorials and register for them at this site.
5. Useful links, Quickstart Guides, and email addresses:
Please be sure to change your password often.
www.msi.umn.edu/my -- myMSI
www.msi.umn.edu/hardware/ -- Core Computing Machines
www.msi.umn.edu/labs/bscl/ -- Basic Sciences Computing Laboratory (BSCL)
www.msi.umn.edu/labs/bmsdl/ -- Biomedical Modeling, Simulation, and Design Laboratory (BMSDL)
www.msi.umn.edu/labs/cgl/ -- Computational Genetics Laboratory (CGL)
www.msi.umn.edu/labs/lmvl/ -- LCSE-MSI Visualization Laboratory (LMVL)
www.msi.umn.edu/labs/umbcl/ -- MSI-UMR BICB Computational Laboratory (UMBCL)
www.msi.umn.edu/labs/sdml/ -- Scientific Data Management Laboratory (SDML)
www.msi.umn.edu/labs/sdvl/ -- Scientific Development and Visualization Laboratory (SDVL)
www.compbio.umn.edu/ -- One-Stop Portal for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
www.msi.umn.edu/hardware/itasca/quickstart.html -- Quickstart Guide for Itasca (HP Linux Cluster)
www.msi.umn.edu/hardware/calhoun/quickstart.html -- Quickstart Guide for Calhoun (SGI Altix XE 1300 Linux Cluster)
www.msi.umn.edu/hardware/blade/quickstart.html -- Quickstart Guide for Blade (IBM BladeCenter Linux Cluster)
www.msi.umn.edu/hardware/elmo/quickstart.html -- Quickstart Guide for Elmo (Sun Fire X4600 Linux Cluster)
Useful email addresses:
email@example.com -- for all requests for user assistance (technical help for all users)
firstname.lastname@example.org -- for all questions concerning account renewal, new principal investigators, and service units (administrative help for all users)
email@example.com -- for all questions and instructions concerning changes in users and accounts for existing users
firstname.lastname@example.org -- for submission of research reports containing work done using MSI resources
email@example.com -- to request access to information in an alternative format for individuals with disabilities