About the Position
The Minnesota Supercomputing Institute (MSI) is looking for a Systems Software Developer to join our team. MSI supports several thousand users researching topics spanning the physical sciences, engineering, life sciences, medicine, and social sciences. The Systems Software Developer will work collaboratively with the MSI Application Development Solutions (ADS) team and diverse stakeholders to build and maintain software systems in support of MSI's mission to provide advanced research computing infrastructure primarily to the University of Minnesota research community.
The MSI ADS team is a small group of highly qualified developers who value:
- clear, testable, and maintainable software solutions
- collaborative development and team ownership of code
- working with stakeholders to understand requirements and devise creative and effective solutions
- excellence in all areas of our work
- professional development and continuous growth through learning
Responsibilities will include:
Systems Programming (65%)
- Create, develop, test, document, and maintain software solutions in a Linux environment, for automation of system tasks or in support of research workflows
- Proactively identify, troubleshoot, and resolve problems with system software to create a more functional, robust, and secure environment
- Manage, maintain, and improve existing software systems in a production environment
Planning and Support (25%)
- Identify requirements and devise solutions in close collaboration with MSI user support, operations staff, and other stakeholders
- Effectively communicate complex technical issues to cross-functional audiences
- Manage time, tasks, and resources with MSI issue-tracking and project management systems
- Actively discover opportunities for collaboration and improvement affecting the ADS team or MSI as a whole
- Positively represent MSI in interactions with peers throughout the University community
- Other duties as assigned.
Professional Development (10%)
- Participate in the University of Minnesota IT community through relevant communities of practice
- Pursue professional growth through training, workshops, and independent study
BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field and 4 years of work experience, or 6 years of related work experience with a non-related degree.
Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, with experience using these abilities in a team environment.
Programming experience on a Linux platform using PHP and/or Python, including system programming experience.
Strong problem-solving and organizational skills.
Technology experience in an academic or research environment.
Experience implementing research workflow or analysis pipeline software.
Experience working in teams on multiple complex projects.
Experience with database programming and web development.
Experience with additional programming languages including: PHP, Python, JS, SQL.
Experience with cloud technologies including: Openstack, AWS, Docker, Cloud-Init.
Experience with configuration management technology such as Puppet.
Experience with version control technology such as Git.
We would like to invite you to visit our employment site to complete your application.
If you are not a current University of Minnesota employee, please use the following link:
If you are a current University of Minnesota employee, please use the following link instead:
1. Select the below link to access our site.
2. Sign In to access your account, or if you are not an existing user select the New User link to create one.
3. Review the job description and select the Apply button to begin your application.
Alternatively, please feel free to visit us on our employment site, independently of this invitation: