About the Position
The Minnesota Supercomputing Institute (MSI) is looking for a DevOps Engineer to join our team. The Engineer will work collaboratively with the MSI Application Development Solutions (ADS) team and diverse stakeholders to build and maintain software systems and services that integrate with HPC technologies and research computing environments.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Create, develop, test, document, and maintain software solutions in a research computing environment, using current best practices and modern tooling (Linux, Git, Puppet, etc.)
- Rapidly iterate prototype services and systems while maintaining attention to quality, testability, documentation, and future maintainability
- Proactively identify, troubleshoot, and resolve problems with software systems to create a more functional, reliable, and secure environment for research activities
- Manage, maintain, and improve existing software systems
Planning and Support (20%)
- Identify requirements and devise solutions in close collaboration with MSI user support, operations staff, and other stakeholders
- Effectively communicate complex technical issues to cross-functional audiences
- Manage time, tasks, and resources with MSI issue-tracking and project management systems
- Actively discover opportunities for collaboration and improvement affecting the ADS team or MSI as a whole
- Positively represent MSI in interactions with peers throughout the University community
Professional Development (10%)
- Participate in the University of Minnesota IT community through relevant communities of practice
- Pursue professional growth through training, workshops, and independent study
This position has been designated as eligible for flexible work profiles 2 or 3.
Profile 2 is expected to work on-site more than 50% of the time. Your office will be located in Walter Library. Profile 3 is expected to work remotely more than 50% of the time. Your dedicated office space will be in your remote work location. MSI management retains the right to modify flexible work arrangement agreements on a temporary or permanent basis for any reason at any time.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field and four years of work experience, or six years of related work experience with a non-related degree
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, with experience using these abilities in a team environment
- Programming experience on a Linux platform, including proficiency in at least one modern scripting language (e.g. Python, Ruby, NodeJS)
- Strong problem-solving and organizational skills
- Technology experience in an academic or research environment
- Experience implementing research workflow or analysis pipeline software
- Experience working in teams on multiple complex projects
- Experience with database programming and web development
- Experience with additional programming languages including: PHP, Python, JS, SQL
- Experience integrating backend systems with web frameworks such as Drupal or Django
- Experience with container technologies such as k8s, Docker
- Experience with configuration management technology such as Puppet
- Experience with modern development tooling, including: Git, Jenkins
About the Department
MSI's mission is to provide advanced research computing infrastructure supporting several thousand users researching topics spanning the physical sciences, engineering, life sciences, medicine, and social sciences, within the University of Minnesota academic community and beyond. As technologists we meet a dual responsibility: reliably provide computational and supporting services critical to the daily work of our research community; and boldly expand the boundaries of the possible by deploying cutting edge technologies.
Applications must be submitted online via the University of Minnesota Employment site. The Job ID for this position is 359187.