About the Position
The Minnesota Supercomputing Institute (MSI) is looking for a Systems Software Developer (ADS Developer 3) to join our team. The Systems Software Developer will work collaboratively with the MSI Application Development Solutions (ADS) team and diverse stakeholders to build and maintain software systems in support of MSI's mission to provide advanced research computing infrastructure. MSI supports several thousand users researching topics spanning the physical sciences, engineering, life sciences, medicine, and social sciences, within the University of Minnesota academic community and beyond.
The MSI ADS team is a small group of highly qualified developers who value:
- Clear, testable, and maintainable software solutions
- Collaborative development and team ownership of code
- Working with stakeholders to understand requirements and devise creative and effective solutions
- Professional development and continuous growth through learning
- Excellence in all areas of our work
Responsibilities will include:
- Systems Programming and Maintenance (70%)
- Create, develop, test, document, and maintain software solutions in a Linux environment, for automation of system tasks or in support of research workflows
- Proactively identify, troubleshoot, and resolve problems with system software to create a more functional, robust, and secure environment
- Manage, maintain, and improve existing software systems in a production environment
- Planning and Support (20%)
- Identify requirements and devise solutions in close collaboration with MSI user support, operations staff, and other stakeholders
- Effectively communicate complex technical issues to cross-functional audiences
- Manage time, tasks, and resources with MSI issue-tracking and project management systems
- Actively discover opportunities for collaboration and improvement affecting the ADS team or MSI as a whole
- Positively represent MSI in interactions with peers throughout the University community
- Professional Development (10%)
- Participate in the University of Minnesota IT community through relevant communities of practice
- Pursue professional growth through training, workshops, and independent study
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field and four years of work experience, or six years of related work experience with a non-related degree
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, with experience using these abilities in a team environment
- Programming experience on a Linux platform using PHP Golang and/or Python, including system programming experience
- Strong problem-solving and organizational skills
- Technology experience in an academic or research environment
- Experience implementing research workflow or analysis pipeline software
- Experience working in teams on multiple complex projects
- Experience with database programming and web development
- Experience with additional programming languages including: PHP, Python, JS, SQL
- Experience with cloud technologies including: Openstack, AWS, Docker
- Experience with configuration management technology such as Puppet
- Experience with version control technology such as Git
Applications must be submitted online. The Job ID for this position is 327125.
If you are not a current University of Minnesota employee, please use this link: Non-employee link.
If you are a current University of Minnesota employee, please use this link: Employee link.
Visit the University of Minnesota Employment site for complete instructions.