Four MSI PIs are among the University faculty who have named 2019-21 McKnight Land-Grant Professors. The purpose of this program is to advance the careers of outstanding assistant professors.
The MSI PIs included on the list are:
- Emilyn Uy Alejandro (Integrative Biology and Physiology)
- Professor Alejandro uses MSI for genetic studies aimed at developing new treatments for type 2 diabetes
- Gabriel Chan (Humphrey School of Public Affairs)
- Professor Chan is using computer modeling to study the impacts on air pollution of climate policies in California.
- Michael Smanski (Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Biophysics)
- Professor Smanski is performing genomics and bioinformatics studies of microbial gene clusters to find and functionally characterize specialized metabolic pathways that might have applications in medicine, agriculture, and environmental studies.
- Scott Vrieze (Psychology)
- Professor Vrieze is using genetic association studies to determine links between genetics and addiction and mental illness.
The complete list of new McKnight Land-Grant Professors can be found on the Scholars Walk website.