Software is classified according to three service levels:
These are the major software packages supported by the Minnesota Supercomputing Institute. In the case of application software a primary service is one where the package has been compiled, optimized, and thoroughly tested, and where we expect to be able to offer advice to assist with the majority of inquiries. MSI offers workshops for many codes in this category, or could, upon request.
Examples of Primary Services are flagship scientific HPC codes such as Gaussian and NAMD, system tools like the Intel Compiler suite, programming languages such as Fortran and Python, and libraries like OpenMP and MPI. Traits of a Primary Service include
- An on-site expert is experienced with the tool and will be able to offer detailed assistance. In some cases the expert may have in-depth knowledge of the subject area and can offer support and consultation at an advanced level.
- The software is updated in a timely fashion by MSI staff without requests from users.
- The software is documented on the MSI webpage.
Ancillary Services are useful utilities and software packages which we make available because we believe they may be of use, but which may not have been thoroughly tested and our ability to respond to questions may be limited. Many pieces of public domain software are provided as ancillary services.
- An on-site expert may be able to offer detailed assistance, send an email to email@example.com to find out.
- The software will generally be installed by MSI and available on some though not all machines at any given time.
- Upgraded upon request.
- The software has limited documentation on the MSI webpage.
Minimal Services cover items of application software which are of interest to only a small fraction of users. Minimal services are initially tested to ensure that the package runs but we are unable to offer assistance beyond this; no advice on operation is available. Software in this category is only installed upon request, and will not be updated regularly. MSI will not maintain documentation nor test the software following system updates. You are welcome to send an inquiry regarding the items to firstname.lastname@example.org.