You are here
Connect to Windows server using Remote Desktop on Mac client
You'll need to download and install the client first.
For Mac OX 10.7 or later: Install Microsoft Remote Desktop from the Mac App Store.
For Mac OX 10.6 or earlier: Download the Remote Desktop Client
- Launch the application from your Applications folder.
- Select the window that appears, and, from the menu bar, select RDC > Preferences.
- In the Login tab, enter 'MSI\Username' and your password. You can leave the domain box blank.
- In the Display tab, set your window size if desired.
- In the Drives tab, select 'All disk drives'. This will allow you to transfer files between the remote server and your Mac.
- Close the preferences window and enter the server name (probably copper.msi.umn.edu or iron.msi.umn.edu) in the 'Computer' field. Click Connect. You will be warned about sharing your hard disks if you chose that option.
- You should next see a Windows login prompt. Login with your MSI username and password.
- Your local Mac's drives will be mounted as network drives on the server.