Published on December 15, 2015
The Users Bulletin provides a summary of new policies, procedures, and events of interest to MSI users. It is published quarterly.
To request technical assistance with your MSI account, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Account Renewals: The MSI 2015 allocation period ends on December 31, 2015. MSI user accounts must be renewed if you wish to continue using MSI during 2016. PIs and Group Administrators can renew their groups’ accounts through their myMSI portal on the MSI website. Non-renewed accounts will be locked in early 2016.
2. Service Units in 2016: All groups will receive Service Units (SUs) in 2016. Also, all new members to groups will be given access to the SUs. (Previously, PIs had to specifically grant access to group members for SUs.) Please see the Allocations page on the MSI website for complete information about SUs.
3. Dedicated Computing and Data Storage: MSI's free allocations process is not the only way to get access to computing and data storage resources at MSI. UMN faculty may purchase computers and dedicated access to storage to support their research requirements. Purchasing resources from MSI is especially useful where faculty require guaranteed or dedicated access to computing or data storage. More information about purchasing resources from MSI can be found in the MSI service catalog.
4. PI Publications: MSI has changed the way we track publications by our PIs. Instead of relying on submissions from PI groups, we are using online publications databases, including Experts@Minnesota, to track publications by MSI PIs. Because of this change, we are no longer requesting that PIs submit their citations to MSI. We are also no longer posting PI bibliographies on the MSI website.
Please acknowledge MSI in your published works (e.g., posters, research reports, journal articles, abstracts, and talks) where MSI resources (computing, data storage, visualization, staff, etc.) contributed to your published research results. You can either list MSI in your affiliations in the byline, or cite MSI in the acknowledgments section (including, at a minimum, "Minnesota Supercomputing Institute (MSI)” and "University of Minnesota"). The following is a more complete example of how you could acknowledge MSI:
The authors acknowledge the Minnesota Supercomputing Institute (MSI) at the University of Minnesota for providing resources that contributed to the research results reported within this paper. URL: http://www.msi.umn.edu
This text can also be found in a couple of locations on the MSI website: the MSI FAQ in the Help and Documentation section and on the Acknowledgments page in the Research @ MSI section.
5. Spring Tutorials: Spring tutorials will begin after the beginning of the spring academic semester. The list is posted on the Events page on the MSI website and will be updated if new tutorials are added. If you register for a tutorial and then are unable to attend, please notify MSI; we often have waiting lists.
6. 2016 MSI Research Exhibition: Save the Date! MSI will host the annual Research Exhibition on April 26, 2016, in Walter Library. The event includes a judged poster session with prizes awarded to the finalists. We will post information on our website and send out a Call for Posters in January 2016.
7. Useful Webpages: Looking for help with using MSI? One of these pages may have the information you need:
b. Getting Started (includes Quickstart Guides)
c. MSI Systems